Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Thing About Dawn

The thing about my friend Dawn, who died on Tuesday of malignant melanoma at only thirty-nine years old, leaving behind her husband and two boys under ten, is that when she asked you how you were, she wanted to know how you really were instead of how you were pretending to be.

The thing about Dawn is that she never complained, even when she was in extraordinary pain. I believe that's why the news of her death shocked so many of us who counted ourselves her friends. We didn't understand how critically ill she was, because she didn't tell us. It just wasn't in her nature to dwell on herself.

The thing about Dawn is her grace, her humility, her wit, the joy she took in life with her husband and boys, and her unwavering cheerleading of so many, many people through their own struggles and losses.

The thing about Dawn and her husband Mike is how much they loved each other. Once I dubbed them the best couple on Twitter. Because they were.

The thing about me is how deeply sorry I am that I never told Dawn what I've written here.

The thing about the world is that it is now missing one of its kindest and most compassionate inhabitants.

And the thing about the stars is that they're shining yet more brightly now that Dawn is among them.



Please consider donating what you can in support of melanoma research to honor a woman taken from us far too soon. Thank you.

14 comments:

Christine said...

I can tell you loved her, Sarah. I am so sorry.

Kathryn said...

Beautiful, Sarah. Dawn was a sweetheart, to everyone. She is sorely missed.

Amanda said...

She had the most appealing rhythm and spirit about her, even through the glowy box. The thing about Dawn is that loving her was effortless and losing her seemed impossible.

Nicole said...

It's just so tragic. xo

Bibliomama said...

I'm so sorry that she's not here any more, but so admiring at the impact she made when she was.

alejna said...

Beautifully written, Sarah.

Patois42 said...

Such beauty in the midst of such sadness.

Magpie said...

lovely. (weepy.)

ozma said...

I'm really sorry. She sounds wonderful.

Trisha Rutledge said...

This is just awesome, Sarah! Thank you...

Liv said...

She is a rockstar among the stars. My words have run out...I'm glad you're talking. xo

Mary Gilmour said...

What a lovely post and I am so sorry.

Rima said...

All true. I can't believe it's been a year.

Trish Rutledge said...

I love this still!