Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A Partial Update

The problem with disclosing this situation, as I have chosen to do, is that people will expect an update. And that's only fair. I do not regret sharing my story - perhaps someone will benefit from it, if only by thinking, "Huh. I haven't had a mammogram for too long." That's to the good.

But today was disappointing. I guess I half-expected to walk in and have the doctor say, "It's all been a mistake. You're good to go."

She didn't. She said, "We take this very seriously." So I had an EKG and bloodwork. I will have further diagnostic testing done next week, and surgery on the 17th.

I asked the surgeon about my odds, you know I did. She replied, "With this condition, we use the 2/3 rule. 2/3 benign, 1/3 not."

The duct will be removed on the 17th and then sent for biopsy. Biopsy results will be in on the 24th. That's three weeks more of waiting and worrying about the Big C.

If there is cancer, well then a second, more invasive surgery will have to follow the first.

I can't really believe this is happening. It hasn't sunk in yet. I keep wondering whether this is my new reality or just a blip.

1/3, 2/3.

(Oh, and the surgeon is adorable - she looks like Mindy Kaling of The Mindy Project - only even prettier than Mindy. She could be my daughter, she is that young. And well dressed. So there's that.)

20 comments:

Bon said...

gah. xo Sarah. i am sorry it wasn't a clear "mistake" situation...not b/c that means it won't be, eventually, but b/c you need to sit and wait and that is HARD. sending you patience, courage, strength, and (this will be the tough one) a dull imagination for the next few weeks. ;) y'hear?

Erin LaMotta said...

Sorry that you are playing this painful waiting game, Sarah. The waiting is the hardest part (I hope). I've done it, not with breasts but with a pancreas. Agony. Thinking of you! Hope the kids are kind to you in these coming weeks.:)

Bibliomama said...

UGH. I hope that it doesn't actually sink in until it's all cleared up. I know how I would be feeling, and I wish so much that you didn't have to go through this.

Bibliomama said...

Also, awesome about the doctor. Maybe distract yourself with some Mindy Project ridiculousness. It got me through my last bout of violent illness pretty well.

Vodka Mom said...

deep breaths....and tons of wine.

Yolanda said...

Oh god. I am just now catching up on this. What a terrifying ordeal. I have news, too. That I have been reluctant to share. But we shall both be going under the knife in the next few weeks. My surgeon looks like a Backstreet Boy. Prayers that the odds are in your favor and the recovery is swift and complete.

vanderpug said...

I know this probably won't help -- but if it is cancer (God forbid), it is very, very treatable. You were smart. you went to the doctor at the first symptom. Survival rate is 100%. Please read that again. 100%. I hope you don't have to go through more surgeries, etc. And I'm very sorry you have to keep waiting for answers.
Karen V.

Tanis Miller said...

I'm sorry you have to endure this but I'm going to valiantly hope it's of the 2/3's situation and not the alternative. In the meantime, love, courage and strength to you and your family.

De said...

Worrying will not affect the unknown outcome, but it will affect you. Try your best to carry on as if the 17th is just another Wednesday. I put off my surgery last year for 7 weeks because cancer was not trumping the plans I made previously. As it turned out, I recovered from a pretty major surgery before I could finish reading all the books you recommended. (Lol - thx again!) I pray your outcomes will be even better!

slow panic said...

i'm trying to figure out when the doctors got so freaking YOUNG. what is that?

the waiting is so hard. and the worrying. here's hoping everything goes well and you get the absolute best care.

and thanks for sharing this and being open about it.

Stimey said...

Waiting is so, so hard. I send you love every day. I wish you strength and calm.

alejna said...

Thank you for the update, even if not the update you were hoping for. I will continue to think of you lots, and will probably eat lots of chocolate as I wait along with you.

Elan Morgan said...

I'm so sorry. I've had to deal with tests, and then digging around, and then tests, and then…

I wish this didn't have to be. All the not knowing is hard, and the body's betrayal is surprisingly sharp.

Mary Gilmour said...

Hugs. Large, enveloping hugs.

Tere said...

Hating this, praying for you. And hugs - sending those your way.

Veronica said...

I wish you weren't facing this...

Tara R. said...

We'll work on the theory that the odds are strongly in your favor for a good prognosis, and this is just a blip. Keeping good and healthy thoughts for you.

melissa said...

Ugh! So sorry you're going through this. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and sending vibes of good health your way!

Angie McCullagh said...

Blergh! No fun at all. Virtually holding your hand as you wait for the next few weeks. Be good to yourself.

karengreeners said...

Damn. You have 3/3 of my good thoughts and wishes and hope.