Saturday, March 21, 2015

Digest This Vol. 1

Be moved, inspired, laugh, get angry. I share whatever makes me sit up and take note.

I'm not usually a fan of the graphic essay, but Ronald Wimberly's piece about skin color and ingrained bias is so clever and beautifully drawn to boot: Lighten Up.

When I was in graduate school, I studied memory and its malleability, which is especially troublesome in the context of our legal system. Douglas Starr's New Yorker essay synthesizes and extends the long concerning evidence about false memory: Remembering a Crime That You Didn't Commit.

I am in the thick of it, and Rachel Cusk illuminates the issues well in Raising Teenagers: The Mother of All Problems. An excerpt:

Adolescence, it strikes me, shares some of the generic qualities of divorce. The central shock of divorce lies in its bifurcation of the agreed-upon version of life: There are now two versions, mutually hostile, each of whose narrative aim is to discredit the other. Until adolescence, parents by and large control the family story. The children are the subject of this story, sure enough, the generators of its interest or charm, but they remain, as it were, characters, creatures derived from life who nonetheless have their being in the author’s head.

I want to buy Johanna Basford's coloring books for adults. Such intricate drawings begging for color. Now where did I put those Caran D'Ache colored pencils that I last used in 1980?

Let me know what you think of the inaugural Digest This!


3 comments:

Mary Gilmour said...

You rock! You find things I would never otherwise enjoy. Thank you!

Magpie said...

ooh. i love the coloring book too.

Catty said...

I've opened ALL the tabs, and will now read. Especially the first one, it's caught my attention because I wanted to see an emoticon to a friend who is black and realised there are only TWO people that aren't yellow or white. Wow (check my privilege, is that the internet phrase?).

www.behaviouriscommunication.wordpress.com